• First cluster of servo arms and a bracket finished. Testing.
  • Photographed results of each step in making arms and made a video. Each step in the video is a tool change or part repositioning.
  • Added construction video to Signals Arm manufacturing steps.
  • First full mechanical test with new bracket parts was less than rewarding.
    • The mounting holes on the servos seem to be of two types. In some cases the hole in the servo is a pass-through size so the provided screw needs to tap into the bracket. In other cases the servo holes are smaller, so a pass through hole is needs in the bracket. I have broken two screws trying to tap them into the aluminum bracket. This is not good. Ordering some #1 machine screws and nuts. to mount the servos.*** Edit. Turns out the hole in the servos are all the same size; All of the screws are not the same size. This is good.
    • It is hard as hell to mount the bracket getting the control wires in place all at once. It's hard on the test stand. Will see how it goes on the layout.
    • Because of the size of the widget holding the ez-connector in place and how much bigger the 3/8" hex head is than 3/8" I had to make the short end of servo arm longer. Changing everything and using 2" angle for the bracket still not what I wanted. I wanted max rotation of the servo for better granularity. I got about 1/2 of what I wanted.
    • Raspberry Pi software to drive the servo for testing (and calibration) is funky . Time to add a GUI package to python libraries. I want it for later so might as well start here.
  • When I get internet back I need to order:
    • #1-64X3/8" machine screws and nuts. Will need 112 to mount servos.
    • #4-40X1/4 machine screws. I'm about 60 short. Additional screws needed to mount the small circuit board on the bracket.
  • Today I decided that "Design" and "Design Details" should be above "The Process" in the TOC.
  • Cut material for two more clusters.~ 12 arms and 6 brackets/angle. Step 2 buggered 3 arms before I figured out that the end mill was "passed its best by date."
  • Ordered drill bits and end mills to make sure breakage/dull points don't stop production.
  • Looking at how the simulator sets signals I made two minor changes in the simulator:
    • Noticed in the "Display" graphic the bottom of the 'by' in the copyright line is cut off. Moved the line up 4 pixels.
    • On the initialization page, added a radio button to return the labels displayed to the default (Track Legend, Train Legend and Display Signals).
  • Moved a cupcake pan to the playroom to hole small parts.
  • Brackets for three 'clusters' assembled (9 brackets) - minus one arm. Also built one LED circuit board. Installed the bracket for signal pole #4.
  • If the first bracket installation is indicative, I may not live long enough to finish this part of the project.
  • See Installing Signals for the process.
  • This is a long week waiting for non-cell phone internet before uploading "weekly" update.